When thinking of tools for those in the UK pig industry, it is easy enough to think of hand tools and gear or kit ideal for the daily life of the farmer. However, this is the 21st century and that means that tools ideally suited to today’s UK pig farmer can include some high-tech solutions, too.
In this brief article, we’ll look at five tools that everyone in the UK pig industry should be using or should at least be aware of.
- Pig Pro – A September 2017 news release by the AHDB (Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board) in the UK noted that Pig Pro is a “free online training record has been designed…[as] an alternative to PIPR – the Pig Industry Professional Register. Its aim is to provide producers with an easy-to-use and valued method of recording training, with records across the industry being kept in one consistent format.”
- The AHDB website itself – If you are a pig farmer in the UK (or anywhere, really), the amazing resources at the AHDB website are available freely and can be used to find answers to any number of questions, challenges and more. Their Publications and Tools page is of particular value to working farmers.
- Turnkey housing solutions – There is no need to use all kinds of guesswork or estimates about your farm’s needs. With turnkey housing, such as the innovative solutions from IDS, you can design a bespoke structure that meets your budget while also ensuring the health and productivity of each pig.
- Automation and systems – Whether for feed or water, and whether it is for sows, piglets or finishing, there are turnkey systems that guarantee optimal animal welfare and cost controls.
- Optimal biosecurity – Economically destructive and ruinous to the industry, all UK pig farmers should be using the best resources and protocols in biosecurity as outlined by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
Use these five tools and resources and you will see far better and easier management of your pig farming endeavours.