As a UK pig farmer, it is your responsibility to provide the animals in your care with adequate shelter – pig housing. However, not all housing solutions are created equal. Aging pig housing filled with antiquated systems can actually result in lost vigour and reduced size, as well as increasing the stress placed on your pigs. How do you choose the right pig housing?
1. Modern Construction – Today’s pig housing construction methods are drastically different from those just a few decades ago. Modern construction helps ensure better air flow, better sanitation, less crowding, and other vital considerations.
2. Flooring – The right flooring is a vital consideration for both ease of cleaning/sanitation, and for animal welfare and comfort. Conventional wide slatted floors should be eschewed in favour of newer designs that ensure easy cleaning combined with good stability for pigs.
3. Stainless Steel – While stainless steel need not be used heavily within pig housing, it should constitute a minimum of surfaces to ensure sanitation and ease of cleaning.
4. Heating and Cooling – Pigs require an optimum environment for good health and development. Heating via heat lamps and heating pads, as well as cooling via fans and other techniques, help ensure you create that environment.
5. Space – Overcrowding increases stress and competition for resources like food and water. Quality pig housing is spacious enough to avoid overcrowding.
6. Access to Feed and Water – Throughout their lives, pigs require access to quality feed and fresh water. The right pig housing will be outfitted with feeder troughs, drinker nipples for the water system, and other features to ensure the animals always have access to food and water.
If you are searching for quality pig housing, IDS can help. We work with UK pig farms of all sizes to help design and build solutions to their needs. Call us on +353 57 86 21224.